If just the thought of having any dental procedure makes you tense, then sedation dentistry may be a good option for you. If you would rather have tooth pain or stained and crooked teeth than get dental work, you are not alone. Many people feel this way, which is why sedation dentistry is so popular. There are different levels of sedation dentistry in Bradenton, and they all increase comfort and relaxation for people in the dentist’s chair.
Anxiolysis or minimal sedation dentistry is a drug-induced condition in which you can still respond to verbal commands. Your physical and cognitive functions may be slightly affected, but your cardiovascular functions, breathing and ventilator functions are not affected by the drug. This is a good option for people who have extremely sensitive teeth, a low pain threshold or a phobia of getting needed dental work. Some popular options for minimal sedation dentistry include:
• Oral conscious sedation, which uses oral sedative drugs to reduce discomfort and fear.
• Nitrous Oxide, which is also called laughing gas and is inhaled through a small mask that is placed over your nose. It doesn’t put you to sleep, and you can hear and respond to directions or requests given by the dentist.
• Conscious sedation or moderate sedation is also drug-induced and allows you to respond to verbal commands. Sometimes the commands are accompanied by a light touch. You will be able to breathe naturally, but may slur your words and not remember much of the procedure when the drug is out of your system.
Whether you have minimal sedation or a deeper form of sedation, you may also be given a local anesthetic to numb the site where the work will be done.
When you talk to our talented dentist near Bradenton, you may learn if minimal sedation dentistry is your best option. Generally speaking, good candidates for any type of sedation are people who:
• Can’t sit quietly in the dentist’s chair
• Have a low threshold of pain
• Have a serious gag reflex
• Have very sensitive teeth
• Need a large amount of work done that may take a long time
• Are children
You never need to worry about visiting the dentist, or avoiding treatment until you have serious oral problems again. Just ask for sedation dentistry for comfort and relaxation. Talk to our specialist at Implant and Comprehensive Dentistry in Champions Gate or Winter Haven to get started. Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation!